Military & Defense

US nuclear power pact with Saudi Arabia lacks strict guardrails, letter says

North America / United States0 views2 min
US nuclear power pact with Saudi Arabia lacks strict guardrails, letter says

A U.S. State Department letter revealed that a proposed civil nuclear pact with Saudi Arabia lacks strict safeguards urged by Democratic lawmakers, including the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency oversight and 'gold standard' nonproliferation protections. The agreement, currently in final review under Donald Trump’s administration, would allow nuclear technology sharing with Saudi Arabia, raising concerns given Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s past statements on nuclear weapons development if Iran does so.

A proposed civil nuclear agreement between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia lacks the strictest safeguards advocated by Democratic lawmakers, according to a State Department letter sent to Senator Edward Markey on May 18. The letter, seen by Reuters, confirms the pact will rely on a less rigorous 'bilateral safeguards agreement' instead of the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) protocol, which grants broad oversight, including snap inspections at undeclared sites. The Trump administration announced last year it was pursuing the deal to boost U.S. nuclear industry ties and strengthen diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia. However, nonproliferation advocates warn that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has stated Saudi Arabia would develop nuclear weapons if regional rival Iran does so. Democratic lawmakers had urged Secretary of State Marco Rubio to push for the 'gold standard' protections, which ban uranium enrichment and nuclear waste reprocessing—key steps in nuclear weapons development. The UAE adopted these standards in 2009 before building its first nuclear plant, but the letter makes no mention of them. The State Department letter, signed by senior legislative affairs official Paul Guaglianone, described the agreement as a 'legal foundation' for a decades-long, multi-billion-dollar partnership advancing economic and strategic objectives. It is currently in final review before Trump’s expected signature, though the White House declined to specify a timeline or address safety concerns. Energy Secretary Chris Wright stated in November that the deal includes a 'firm commitment to nonproliferation,' but the State Department refused to disclose further details during the review process. Critics, including Senator Markey, argue the administration is 'selling out national security' by approving the pact without stronger safeguards. Once signed, Congress has 90 days to oppose the agreement before it takes effect, allowing nuclear technology transfers to Saudi Arabia. Experts like Henry Sokolski, director of the Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, warn that uranium enrichment capabilities could pose long-term risks, even if Saudi Arabia remains a U.S. ally. The Saudi embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

This content was automatically generated and/or translated by AI. It may contain inaccuracies. Please refer to the original sources for verification.

Comments (0)

Log in to comment.

Loading...